Camp Pendleton Marine charged with stealing ammunition, dropping more than 12,000 rounds and grenades
CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (KGTV) – New details are released about a Camp Pendleton Marine that is accused of stealing ammunition and keeping military explosives off base. According to new military documents, the Navy had around 12,000 cartridges and three grenades.
This week, base officials told ABC 10News that Sergeant Gunnar Naughton is now due to appear before a General Court Martial, the military’s highest trial court.
In indictment documents just released to ABC 10News, the 28-year-old is charged with multiple counts relating to the theft of ammunition and taking explosives. He is one of at least five Marines under investigation, according to a source with close military ties, which ABC 10News first reported in March.
A Navy reportedly attempted to sell the ammunition online, but was caught in a sting operation set up by federal agents, the source said.
RELATED: Several Camp Pendleton Marines Investigated For Allegedly Stealing Ammunition And Explosives, Per Source
New records reveal that while on active duty at or near the base, Naughton allegedly stole “approximately 840 rounds of 5.56 rounds” and failed to protect the ammunition on one of the fields. shooting.
He is accused of obstructing justice by allegedly removing boxes of ammunition from another Marine’s home and telling an officer to cut off his Signal and Whatsapp communications.
He is also accused of having explosive materials off the base at Fallbrook, including “powder used for blasting”. He then allegedly attempted to throw evidence into a ravine, including more than 12,000 rounds, two military grenades and an M83 smoke grenade.
A Camp Pendleton spokesperson said Naughton’s trial was scheduled for Friday but was moved to July. However, Naughton’s attorney wrote to ABC 10News on Wednesday that a pre-trial agreement had been reached and a plea and conviction hearing would take place in July.
San Diego attorney Bethany Payton-O’Brien previously told ABC 10News that she represented a second Marine, Staff Sergeant Alexander Czub. She said he was charged with obstructing justice, although the base has not confirmed this. “We categorically deny that he has committed any obstruction of justice,” she said in the March interview.
A third lawyer told ABC 10News in March that she represented a third Marine who had not been charged but was eager to resolve the allegations against him.
NCIS oversaw the investigation but declined to comment.
There is still no indication that the case is linked to a separate case that ABC 10News first reported in February, where 10 pounds of C4 explosives were said to have gone missing from a marine base at Twentynine Palms.