Dare 2022 Beach Food Plans – The Coastland Times
At the start of the new year, Dare County Commissioners moved forward with beach power projects this summer.
The northern seaside towns of Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills will see approximately 2,467,500 cubic meters of sand pumped onto the beach from an existing borrow site on the Outer Continental Shelf across from Kill Devil Hills .
Duck will receive 425,000 cubic yards along 1.6 miles of shoreline; Southern Shores, 894,500 cubic yards over 3.8 miles; Kitty Hawk, 643,000 cubic yards, for 3.97 miles; and Kill Devil Hills, 505,000 cubic meters over 2.74 miles, according to the construction contract with Weeks Marine approved by Dare commissioners on Jan. 3, 2022.
The total contract price, submitted by Weeks Marine, is $ 29,247,000. County Dare is acting as the owner of the project.
The project is expected to be largely completed by December 31, 2022.
The other beach reloading project in 2022 is taking place in two villages on Hatteras Island.
At Avon, the project involves pumping one million cubic meters of sand from approximately 2.5 miles of shoreline. For the Buxton project, 1.2 million cubic meters of sand will be placed on the 2.9 miles of waterfront initially supplied in February 2018. The project includes part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore and the waterfront developed by Buxton .
On December 6, 2021, the Dare Commissioners awarded the Avon-Buxton project to Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Co. for an amount of $ 25,870,000.
On January 3, 2022, the commissioners took unanimous action to put in place funding for the Avon-Buxton project.
– adopted an ordinance on capital projects for the Avon / Buxton project totaling $ 29,557,050;
– adopted a resolution to repay the 2022A series limited liability bonds that will finance the project;
– authorized the negotiation of an amendment to a staggered financing contract to be placed privately in the amount of $ 28.5 million;
– told CFO Dave Clawson to keep Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein’s finance team as bond advisor, DEC & Associates as financial advisor, The Bank of New York Mellon Trust Company as trustee and Piper Sandler & Co. as placement agent;
– set a public hearing for January 18, 2022 on the execution and delivery of the amendment to the contract.
READ MORE NEWS HERE.