Rare Talbot-Lago auctioned in Auckland
A surprisingly rare car has been auctioned in New Zealand, with a largely original 1949 Talbot-Lago Record T26 falling under the hammer at the Webbs auction, set to start in late June.
A total of 750 records were produced between 1946 and 1953, powered by a new 4.5-liter overhead-valve inline-six, which had dual camshafts, hemispherical combustion chambers, mounted spark plugs in the center and a block with seven main landings. It generated a healthy, fast 126 kW for the years after WWII, sufficient for a claimed top speed of 170 km / h.
The bodies of the T26 have been handcrafted in the traditional way with an ash frame and steel and aluminum panels. Add independent front suspension and the T26 was a capable racer, winning the 1950 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Unfortunately, a variety of reasons prevented Talbot-Lago from thriving as a car manufacturer beyond the 1950s. This makes the Record T26 quite a rare thing, especially since it is one of the “probably four” in New Zealand and Australia.
* Hit me pink! Torana XU-1 sells for $ 194,000
* Billionaire pays $ 2.45 million for NSW No.4 license plate
* 1937 Talbot-Lago T150-C Goutte d’Eau named best of the best show car
* Big expected price for an Aston Martin “barn find” that might not even go
Work from the faded copy of Body Construction Details, it appears that the car here at Webb’s auction was sold new in Amsterdam on December 14, 1948 by Ets Cobar, a car dealership that existed there from 1937 to 1956.
Unfortunately, this is the limit of European car history. Its New Zealand chapter begins with the vehicle registration at Paraparaumu Beach on December 29, 1956 in the name of Mrs. Gerarda Wilhelmina Frederika Maris-McArthur. It is assumed that she was the wife of MSA Maris-McArthur, a passenger from London to Wellington by the MV Rangitata in July 1955.
With a science qualification under her belt, McArthur was employed in the municipal engineering department laboratory in Wellington City. She must have been well regarded in this environment, with an article on the Karori Reservoir published in 1973 in the ‘New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research’.
The following reference to the car was made on November 22, 1957 to Christopher Patrick Treahy of Khandallah who owned the car for about 18 months before transferring it to DW Wild Motors of Victoria Street, Christchurch.
Subsequently, the car passed through a succession of North Island Guardians stretching from Hamilton to Parnell, back to Huntly, then to Greenlane and Devonport before being purchased by the current Dunedin-based seller at the end of the 1970s, and to be registered on January 21. 1983.
As for the car itself, it has been lightly restored with an engine rebuild and a coat of Aston Martin ‘Evergreen Frost’ paint. Otherwise it appears to be largely original, with factory leather seats, dual horns, skylight, rear awning, Talbot badge on the radiator with the correct Jaeger instruments and a few manuals from origin.
Webb estimates the car will sell for between $ 200,000 and $ 250,000 when it goes up for auction on June 27 at ASB Showgrounds in Auckland.